Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki (thick, savory pancakes) are a breed apart from the regular pancakey, Osaka-style okonomiyaki, because in the middle, along with the other fillings, Hiroshima adds noodles. I witnessed them being made on the picturesque island of Miyajima, off the Hiroshima coast, and here are the pictures:
1. Make two thin crepes out of the okonomiyaki batter. Each crepe is about the size of a salad plate. Set one crepe aside.
2. On top of the remaining crepe, pile shredded cabbage:
3. Lay pork on top of shredded cabbage.
4. Flip. The pork gets crispy and helps cook the cabbage.
5. Place noodles on the griddle…
6. …and stir-fry them.
7. Flip the bottom crepe again and place the noodles on top of it. Top with the other crepe, invert again and press down.
8. Slice in half.
9. Brush okonomiyaki sauce on top, plate and serve.